There are two types of Intake in Germany.
- Summer Intake (April Intake)
- Winter Intake (September / October Intake)
Winter is the primary Intake for Germany. It starts in September / October and ends in February / March. All the Universities in Germany offer a large number of courses for Winter Intake. For most Universities, the application deadline will fall in mid-July for Winter (September Intake).
Students who miss out on Winter Intake can apply for Summer intake in April. It ends in July / August. Summer Intake will have fewer courses on offer by the Universities. Academically it makes no difference if either of the intakes is chosen. The deadline for Application for most Universities will fall in mid-January for Summer Intake.
6 Steps to Study in September Intake in Germany 2022
Step One: Start Now!
- Start looking for courses and programs in Germany, and after that, a University that offers winter intake in Germany. Shortlist the University that is perfect for your needs, according to your career goals and opportunities. Look for the specific Universities and their fees. Do thorough research on all the aspects before you decide to apply.
- When you decide on a list of Universities in Germany to apply to, go to their website and look for the application deadlines. It is very important to mind the deadlines for winter intake in Germany.
Step 2 - Appear for the Exams: April 2022 to June 2022
- Apart from the deadlines, there will be some general requirements for admission at Universities in Germany. It may be an entrance exam such as GMAT or GRE, or the language proficiency tests like IELTS, TOEFL, TestDaF or TELC.
- The test results normally take time to arrive, and you might also need to retake the tests if the results are not enough for the admission standards. So plan ahead for the time taken in preparation, taking and retaking the exam, and the results.
Step 3 - Start Applying to Colleges: May 2022 to June 2022
- The application process starts once you have decided on the University for the Winter Intake in Germany. Start the documentation process and prepare the additional requirements like SOP and LOR. Draft them in such a way that they put you in a good light and make you a strong candidate for admission.
- This process should start a month before the application deadline. Start your SOP, statement of purpose, and contact your professors and managers for the LORs, the letters of recommendation.
- Once everything is in one place, go to the University website and apply online. Make sure every detail is filled incorrectly, and the application is submitted before the due date.
Step 4 - Acceptance Letters and Interviews: July 2022 to August 2022
- The university will get back to you on the development of your application. Revert them with your confirmation as soon as you arrive at the decision. If needed, sometimes a person or video interview is taken by the Universities in Germany.
- Do not wait for the deadlines to reply. If you are willing to attend the course, confirm that as soon as possible.
- You might be asked to pay confirmation fees after you revert to the University. The payment of the fees also have a set deadline, so pay the fees before the date.
Step 5 - Germany Visa Application/Education Loan: August 2022 to September 2022
- Once you are accepted, you will receive an acceptance letter from the respective University. As soon as you receive the acceptance letter, start the Germany Visa Application process. This may take time, so keep that in mind. Start at least 3 months before the departure.
- Arrange the funds. Apply for a student’s loan on time if applicable. If you are looking for a study abroad scholarship, look for its deadlines, too. You will have to show all of this for visa process as monetary funds.
Step 6 - Tickets and Departure: September 2022
- You are just one step away from flying. The winter intakes in Germany start in September-October. It is advisable to arrive in Germany a month before that. Look for accommodation options, too.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents in one place before the flight. Arrange for an international debit or credit card, and make a pre-departure list to be sure about everything.
6 Steps to Study in April Intake in Germany 2023
Step 1 - April Intake 2022: Start Now!
- Start looking for colleges and Universities that offer Summer intake in Germany. Shortlist the best ones that are compatible with your requirements such as your field of study and career plans. Also, check for the tuition fees. You should do thorough research before zeroing into any of the Universities in Germany.
- Look for the application deadlines, too. Different Universities have different timelines for the application, and they can be found on their respective websites.
Step 2 - Appear for the Exams: August 2022 - September 2022
- On the University website, you will find the list of the exam needed to be taken by the student as admission criteria. For academics, you might need to take exams such as GRE and GMAT. The English language proficiency can be proven by tests such as IELTS and TOEFL. The German Language proficiency can be proven by TestDaF and TELC.
- You should keep in mind that the results of these tests also take time to be declared. In case the results are not desirable, you will need to take the test again. Therefore, the preparation and the tests should be done in the months mentioned above.
Step 3 - Start Applying to Colleges: October 2022 – December 2022
- Once you have decided on the college or Universities in Germany, start working on your application. The Universities might need you to provide an SOP or an Application Essay, or LORs. Start the documentation month or two before the application deadline.
- Write your SOP or Application Essay in a manner that makes you a competitive candidate. Contact your professors and references for the LORs, the letters of recommendations.
- Once you have everything in place, go to the University website and apply for the Summer intake in Germany. Make sure you are filling in the details correct in the application, and it is submitted before the due date.
Step 4 - Acceptance Letters and Interviews: December 2022 - January 2023
- The University will revert to you with the status of your application. If you are selected, you will have to confirm your admission to the University.
- Once you decide, send the reply to the University immediately and do not wait for the application deadline to reply.
- In some cases, you will be asked to pay the confirmation fees. The fees should also be paid before the due date.
Step 5 - Apply for Visa / Education Loan: January 2023 - February 2023
- The next step after getting the acceptance letter will be to apply for a student visa. This is the most important step, and it will also take time. Apply for a student visa as early as possible.
- You will be needed to prove the monetary funds for the visa process. You should apply for a student loan during this time if needed. Study Abroad Scholarships for Germany should also be considered for the same.
Step 6 - Tickets and Departure: March 2023 – April 2023
- Book your tickets and have your passport ready. The semester will mostly start in April, and it is advisable to arrive in the country before a month. You should also look for accommodation for your stay in Germany.
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents with you before flying. Get an international credit-debit card for yourself. Make a pre-departure checklist for all the essential things to make sure nothing is left behind.